Thread: ROAR Rule Book V13.0

President

ROAR Rule Book V13.0

Updated ROAR Rules for 2013, have been posted under RULES, ROAR Rulebook, and may be found here http://www.roarracing.com/?page_id=10

Electric Committee
    excellent!

Affiliated Manufacturer Matt Murphy's Avatar
    Can someone please advise me on the current method ROAR uses of teching a Brushless Motor? In the past, motors were teched via Inductance and their values in microhenries. Newly approved motors do not have that information released to the public (at least that I have found). I was told by Ron Schuur before his departure as ROAR Tech Director that ROAR was changing over to teching resistance as the new method of verifying legality of motors, as Inductance does not mean anything to the performance of the motor. Is this information correct? If so, where can I find the minimum resistance figures of each wind of ROAR Spec Motors? Also, what equipment is used by ROAR to check this, and must a race organizer use the same equipment to legitimately check and tech motors for ROAR Legality?

Also, what is the situation regarding legality of the 13.5 and 10.5 D3.5 SPEC Motors after the April date that was set forth in the settlement? I was under the impression that ROAR knew of the 13.5 and 10.5 motors being built from wire larger than legal just as the 17.5 motor was(not accusing, simply inquiring). I am under the impression that these motors will still remain legal. Is this correct? If so, WHY? I believe that ROAR's sister sanctioning body EFRA found the 10.5 motor to use wire too large resulting in the exclusion of the motor in competition. ( http://news.efra.ws/fileadmin/news/2...3.5%20pdf2.pdf ) If this motor, which has been found to have wire that does not meet the written rules, is allowed to compete indefinitely, then how can any other motor manufacturer compete? Can other manufacturers submit motors with the same size wire and be approved? As a ROAR Affiliate company who sells brushless motors under the ROAR Approval, I simply cannot comprehend how this is tolerable from such an esteemed sanctioning body.

Thank you in advance to your replies!

Matt Murphy
    Owner - MurfDogg Racing LLC
    ROAR Affiliate

Anyone have any answers???

President
    Matt,

Please email me your contact info you can send it to president@roarracing.com Myself or the Tech Director can then go over the testing of motors with you.

Email Sent

ROAR:

8.5.4.3.4 ROAR Spec 21.5 motor: Only three slot “Y” wound stators are permitted. No delta
    wound or slot less stators are allowed. Only circular (round) pure copper magnet wire
    permitted. The three slotted stator must be wound with 21.5 turns of two strands of a
    maximum diameter of 21AWG or 0.0724mm per slot. The resistance for each slot of
    the stator shall be tested and a minimum resistance figure will be determined upon
    submittal.

Isn't it 21AWG = 0.724mm? Is it a typo, there is one extra ZERO on the 21.5 rule...please clarify.

You are correct. The maximum diameter of the wire as listed in the rulebook is 0.724mm, not 0.0724mm. That would be a pretty thin wire. Thanks for the catch. That's an error that I traced all the way back to 2009 where the 21.5 class was first implemented. Those would be some pretty slow motors. I'll bring this up for correction on the next pass through the rulebook.

Steve....thank you, rule is rule, if it is listed 0.0724mm from the rule book, it is the rule, even thought that does not make sense at all. Glad to help, cause this is asked by our motor MFR and want me to confirm with ROAR. And this is also asked by our New Zealand and Australia supplier...............they are all using ROAR rule for their national standard.